Monday, November 29, 2010

Twenty Three Chromosomes

After my crazy amount of unexpected time off recently (snow, I love you) I felt invigorated and ready to start a new week. Of course, so did the kids at my school and it took most of my energy to wrangle them to the tasks at hand in class, but that's another story!

IMG_2029

I decided to go for my typical teacher ensemble--pencil skirt, ballet flats, cardigan and scarf. In my attempts to actually use most of my wardrobe I decided to bring out these bright indigo tights that I rarely wear. They are another pair of tights that are surprisingly bright once you put them on, much like my bright teal Hue tights; I had bought them thinking they would be a subdued navy, but clearly I was mistaken! The scarf is an attempt to bring the tights into the realm of 'normal' for me, as this bright color is a bit out of my comfort zone. What do you think? Did I stay true to my fledgling style, or is this a bit too far out of my color palette?

IMG_2024

Do you have any accessories that didn't wear how you thought they would? Do you have any tricks to bring an unusual accessory into your daily rotation?

IMG_2023

Shoes: Naturalizer
Tights: Hue via Plato's Closet
Skirt: Preview Collection via Goodwill
Shirt: J. Crew via Goodwill
Cardigan: Self-made
Scarf: Unknown via Goodwill
Necklace: Vintage via Goodwill Outlet

7 comments:

  1. Those tights aren't a color that you seem to wear often, but I really like them and I think they look good with that outfit (I think it is the scarf that pulls it all together). I have some yellow tights that seemed like a great idea at the time but when I put them on my legs just look...weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia Marie--I've been wary of yellow tights myself. For awhile I was contemplating a mustard pair, but decided they would be too close to my skin tone. Have you tried layering them with something else (maybe a patterned pair on top)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blue tights are awe-some. I love all of the fun colors in your outfit!
    Wearing It On My Sleeves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... you and I have talked a lot the last few weeks about bright tights, but I agree with Lydia that these aren't at all too loud or too bright. Depending on what age kids you teach, I could see you thinking that they were distracting in certain settings. I think Lydia's dead on that the scarf is what ties this whole look together, though -- the blue in the scarf seems to pull the blue in the tights into the same universe. I know it can be hard not to get stuck in the same color family all the time, but I think this is a great step to branch out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so eye-catchy
    love your style :)

    check out my blog for December issue featuring Salvatore Ferragamo items!
    (to those of you who haven't visited my blog yet, please follow my blog and/or twitter @divalicious_m thanks!)

    http://pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I've been reading through your posts for a good twenty minutes now, and I think I've finally found my scarf kindred spirit! I love how you're wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I definitely am a huge fan of scarves--I love how they can bring an outfit together, how they can look effortless and are not finicky, and especially how they keep my neck warm. :)

    ReplyDelete