Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Clock Strikes Twelve

Whenever I wear this soft peach sweater, I always feel more feminine and pretty. I think it's the soft color, the loose fit, and the flattering neckline. I also find myself seeking out this sweater when I want to look pretty, and it ends up forming a self-sustaining loop of prettiness (the best kind of loop!). I find that I usually select my clothing as a reaction to what I'm feeling--if I'm feeling upset or nervous, I choose extremely structured clothing (to act as armour, or an exoskeleton!), if I'm feeling happy I tend to be more adventurous in wearing items that make me happy, if I'm tired I wear many soft layers in muted colors. Less often do I choose my clothing to incite the mood I am yearning for. Usually this happens when I am tired, but I choose a flirty dress for going out in the hopes that it will rejuvinate me.

I am also trying to make a conscious effort to use all of my 30 items--here I am using my black H&M blazer. I bought this blazer when I was in High School, on my first trip to France. I purchased it to wear under hoodies and zip-ups, and it has been a constant staple in my wardrobe even as the sweatshirts have given way to cardigans. It is a bit boxy, but I like that it can be both formal and casual (a decent material, nothing shiny, no exposed seams, everything is clean), and the curved hem is ever-so-slightly feminine. This is the epitome of what I strive for in my wardrobe--an item that I spent a bit more money on, but has endured in my wardrobe for SIX YEARS (!!!) now and is an everyday staple.

Do you have any staples that have stayed with you throughout style transformations?
How do your clothing choices reflect and reflect upon your mood?

IMG_1624
You can't tell, but it's raining like crazy in this picture! This photo shoot was super quick, with my camera being protected by my umbrella balanced above it!

IMG_1617
Coat: Jenifer via France
Jacket: H&M
Shirt: J. Crew via Goodwill
Necklace: Spotted Moth via Giveaway!
Pants: The Merlot via Plato's Closet
Shoes: Naturalizer via Goodwill
Camisole: Shimera (I am usually wearing a camisole, but I only list it when you can see it in the outfit--here it is adding much-needed length to this sweater!)

5 comments:

  1. That blazer looks great! I have a black blazer that doesn't fit anymore, so I have been meaning to find a somewhat affordable replacement for it. I had been thinking about heading to H&M to check out their selection, so I'm glad to hear yours has held up so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I love your blazer and coat! Also, I just realized that your header picture is a plum. Which makes sense. Cause your blog's called "Plummy." I'm going to stop talking now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon--lol, yep--that's why I chose a plum! :P

    Liz, I also feel the need to mention that I bought my blazer in France and I see a huge difference in the quality of clothing at the H&M stores in France and in the USA. I think France is a lot stricter with quality control of clothing, plus the French women are pickier with what they buy so it forces the company to sell higher quality items. I have never bought anything from an H&M in the states, so I can't vouch for them here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness I just realized that it was a plum too. I feel very slow.

    ReplyDelete