Saturday, October 9, 2010

Hustle Bustle

I grabbed this gray dress this morning and ended up doing a monochromatic look in shades of gray and black. I very much enjoy both of those colors and I didn't mind being all dark--it reminded me of when I lived in France and for most of the year, almost every French person wore black pretty much exclusively. You might think I exaggerate, but when I'm on the Swiss side of the border, I see lots of blue, red and brown, but on the French side (we are talking a 15 minute train ride, not traveling to a different climatic zone) everyone is in black--black boots, black jeans, a black peacoat and usually a black scarf, although sometimes people went crazy and went for a--wait for it--black and white patterned scarf. Now, don't get me wrong--they looked excruciatingly chic and I yearned to emulate them, so much that I gathered much of my current black wardrobe during my time in France. I love wearing black and gray, and it usually ends up as my go-to look if I am at a loss.

J’ai d décidé de porter cette jupe grise ce matin et, en résultant, j’étais monochrome pour la journée. J’aime bien les deux couleurs gris et noir, et ça ne m’inquiète pas d’être foncé. Je me rappelle à l’année quand j’habitais en France, et tous let français portent le noir pour presque toute l’année. Quand je restais en Suisse, les hommes portent du bleu, du brun, de la rouge, mais au coté Francis, tout le monde porte le noir et seulement le noir (et parfois une écharpe d’une autre couleur). Ils étaient trop chic et je voulais devenir comme eux, donc j’ai ramassé des vêtements noirs. Moi, j’adore porter le noir et le gris, et je les porte quand je ne connais pas qu’est ce que je dois porter.


Do you have a monochromatic look you tend towards?
Is there a certain color palette that people wear where you are?
Do you think I was successful in wearing my black and gray, or do you think it reads too somber for me?

Portez-vous les vêtements monochromes ?

Est-ce qu’il y a un couleur que tout le monde préfère où vous habitez ?

Croyez-vous que le noir et le gris, c’est un succès pour moi ? Ou est-t-il trop sombre pour moi ?



IMG_1244
Dress: unknown, Goodwill donation pile
Long sleeved shirt underneath: Gap via Plato's Closet
Wrap: Chico's
Leggings: Target
Belt: Chico's via Goodwill
Boots: Steve Madden

2 comments:

  1. I don't think this is too somber, that grey dress is so cute! I wish I could find things like that at my goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks! Just keep looking and keep an open eye--not belted, this dress is extremely unflattering, but once it's belted it is much better! Also, try different thrift shops. In my area, there is one I go to for shoes and trendy clothing, one I go to for high heels (oddly specific, but yes!), one I go to for furniture and one I go to for vintage clothing. They are all either Goodwill stores or St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Shops (I count them both as Goodwill type stores!).

    ReplyDelete