Monday, April 26, 2010

Recently, as I stated in my last post, I have started maintaining polished nails nearly constantly. Rather than being a pain to keep up, as many friends have questioned, it is a time of relaxation when I paint them and let them dry. However, even beyond looking pretty, I have been painting them constantly because of two other reasons: 1. I bite my nails. I know, it's unattractive, it's bad. I had successfully broken myself of the habit (for about 8 years, so it was a successful break) until last year, when the stress of classwork drove me to biting again. The stress and biting have both continued to this year (damn you, senior thesis! *shakes fist*), but the polish acts as a check and I bite my nails significantly less with the polish on. 2. My nails have been peeling like crazy and the polish helps protect them. Yes, I've done my research--my polish does not contain the formaldehyde or other ingredients that cause peeling.

I actually think the peeling is caused by a deficiency of omega-3 fatty acids, which could also be a cause of the brittleness of my hair. Omega-3's are becoming increasingly uncommon in our food, especially as our fat sources are being switched over to synthetic fats and only a few sources of natural fats (which are much more likely to have omega-6's, and trans fats, but not omega-3's). Omega-3 fatty acids are found mainly in fish, walnuts and flaxseed...but as a very poor graduating Uni student, none of those are options for my diet. So I've decided to start eating multivitamins with omega-3 supplements! This will not cost extra, since I already have a box of them sitting around from a gift I got over Christmas. Vitamins as an omega-3 source are not as readily absorbed into the body as natural sources, but better than nothing, right? This is actually a subset of a larger goal, which is USE UP ALL OLD ITEMS BEFORE BUYING NEW. In this case, my new goal is:

Eat 1 packet (yes, my multivitamins come in a packet...they are a pain to take) of multivitamins every other day. Mr. P (Plummy's hubby) says it is not healthy to eat that many vitamins every day, so I will take his advice (especially as Mr. P never gets sick).

Alright, now it's time for a new feature: Goal countup!

Exercise: Ran 1 mile this morning, time-8m45s. Not my best, but felt great afterwords.
Vitamins: Yesterday ate my pack

And a new outfit of the day:















Dress: Forever 21. I am so happy my favorite color (bright orange-red, like a VERY vivid coral--we shall call it vivicoral) is in style this season! Time to stock up, woohoo!
Vest: Forever 21
Leggings: My cut-off tights again
Shoes: Goodwill

No comments:

Post a Comment